Wednesday, July 15, 2009

When It Rains...

I've never been on a blind date before but I have been set up by friends. It never goes well. "Really?! You didn't like him? Why not?!" I'd stare back in awe and think, Don't you know me at all?

I've been set up. He lives in my neighborhood, works at the gym with a friend, and apparently we'll be perfect together because we have the same sense of humor. I was open to meeting him (I am a single girl, I should be open to meeting new people) until I got the Facebook message. "Hey Lauren, I heard J mentioned me to you and I thought I'd introduce myself. So tell me about you."

Hmm... really? When I responded with a "Maybe not on Facebook" message (in the nicest possible way) he followed it up with a, "Hey you -- when are you free?" Is it me, or is it maybe too soon for the "Hey you" greeting? In true Lauren style, he is too into me. So I am not into him. And I took that opportunity to take stock of the men in my life.

R., the roommate: a drunk text over July 4th weekend sent butterflies fluttering in my stomach. So wow... I like him. And I haven't heard from him in over a week. So of course, my interest grows.

The Crush: his imminent visit (3 weeks and counting) has caused the texts, Facebook messages, and phone calls to increase. I can not wait for him to come to New York but if actually dating him was a possibility, how interested would I really be? The thousands of miles of country between us somehow draw me into him even more. Who knows what will come of it, if anything, but the mystery of it keeps me giddy.

I guess I should resign myself to the fact that as much as I plot and plan, agonize and devise, these are things I just can't help. Frustrating and thrilling at the exact same time.

No comments: