Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Waking Up


It was late. I was disappointed. He was embarrassed. I tried my best to keep from crying as I stared out the passenger side window out into the drizzly, sparkling night. I had seen a side of him I never thought I'd see. He let me see a side that he never intended to show. He was fighting back tears himself.

Say something. I couldn't.
I don't know what to say.
He needed my approval.
You want to leave me?
It hurt my heart to even hear him say it.
No. I love you so much. I did. I do. I will.

He looked out over the road, gripped the steering wheel, looked at me quickly, then back at the road. 29 years of shame slid down his cheeks.

I never want to lose you.
You won't.

I come to life when I'm with you.

1 comment:

Maithili said...

It's always bizarre when you get a glimpse of something that's usually pushed just under the corner of a rug. But also amazing when you're at a point where it turns out to be okay if you see it.