Sunday, March 29, 2009

Shades of Grey?


Call me crazy, but I'm not the type to meet someone at a bar. Something about yelling small talk over bad music after one two many drinks downed does not a romantic scene make. Neither do I go to very many bars.

I would say friends of friends (of friends of friends) is the most ideal avenue, but alas, living in a newish town, it's hard enough to meet a person with whom you'd like to cultivate a lasting friendship let alone a relationship.

Where, then, does one have the opportunity to interact with like-minded people on a regular basis, say 40 hours a week?

Ah, the work crush. He is adorable, funny, and smart. He likes the same music and reads similar books. He wears dapper suits for no reason. He refers to everyone and everything by a nickname. He sits next to me.

We are flirty during work and even flirtier outside of it. It is as if we exist in extremes: workplace propriety and inebriated abandon. An amusing, unbelievably frustrating dynamic. Secret emails during the day and middle of the night text messages aside, how would we act around each other while watching a movie on his couch or eating Sunday brunch? I have not the slightest idea.

Do I want to know?

Maybe yes, maybe no. I'm still figuring this one out.

No comments: